Friday 31 October 2014

#Flashbacks

I recalled a time when I was surfing the net for hours. That was a time when Facebook was not as important. It was a time when blogs seems to start popping out everywhere. It was a time when Tumblr just started. It was a time when I actually do read plenty of blogs and was quite abreast with the world of make up and fashion. I used to be able to spend hours reading 1 blog and the next hour another blog. Thinking back, no wonder I did not do as well as I should in school. Most of my time would be a picture of me with my eyes plastered to the screen of my Acer Aspire 5920 laptop instead of my books (no. I did not fail any subjects. Had the entire spectrum of passing grades in my report book; A-D). It is either that or me in my shorts with my (field) hockey stick.

This hobby of mine continued through my initial years of working and now, with the increasing demands of the beverage industry, my work seems to exhaust me out at the end of the day and I require the weekends to get back half of my energy thus I don’t really find time to read these blogs. Recently, while Googling for information on a trip I am planning, I came across an old favourite of mine; Seaofshoes.com. Jane is absolutely as stunning as ever. Her wardrobe is still enviable. Her red locks have always been my obsession. I tend to go red often too just ‘cause I want to channel Jane in my life (that phrase is just a rephrase of ‘I want to be Jane. I want her life. If I can’t, at least I can pretend’). If you think I’m exaggerating, just take a look at her blog. Trust me; you would want to be her too.


*taken from seaofshoes.com*

From Seaofshoes.com, I wandered to ClothesCamerasandCoffee.blogspot.com. Gosh I remembered a time when I tried to thrift shop after reading one of her posts. My conclusion after that trip; thrift shops in Singapore is not as ‘cool’ as the one in the UK. Have a look at her wardrobe and you’ll be wishing your mom or grandmom had that foresight to keep their wardrobe for you. I read her blog during a time when all her photos that she posted were taken by her adoring father. None of it were edited either. Reading her posts and looking at her beautiful pictures of the landscape surrounding her humble home made me envious of the country she is living in. Isn’t it great to have pastures and rolling hills at a walking distance from your doorstep? Here, it is either another apartment block or the road.



Everyone will know the next one. Thesatorialist.com is just a wonderful blog to be scrolling through for hours. The last time I read it was when there was a competition ongoing. If I recall correctly it was filled with photos from the past. I am not too sure what it is called. It was years ago. So to rediscover it was great and I foresee myself over this weekend to be scrolling through it to catch up on what I’ve missed. 


Aishah-amin-the-hijab-diaries.blogspot.com is one of the few blogs that I read representing my own Asian roots. She hails from the country across the causeway from where I am from and the similarity to my culture was what brought me to her blog. I read her blog when she just got married and now she is about to be a mother of 2. I totally missed her 1st pregnancy. I know; I am terrible.


This blogger touched my soul. Her faith in our creator is clear whenever she blogged. She was one of the reasons behind my path to change. She never failed to embrace life despite her medical condition and she made me tear on several occasions. Life got in the way for several years and one morning, while scrolling through Instagram, I saw the account of Aishah Amin saying to pray for her, Ami. I clicked the link and I got a shock. She was gone. She had left us that morning. I couldn’t revisit her blog without a heavy heart. She truly epitomizes living life to the fullest (Ami, saya berharap awak diletakkan dikalang orang-orang yang beriman.) 

Many might ask. Do you read any local blogs back then? I do but they are of my circle of friends (most has since shut their blogs down. So I have nothing to read!). That is it. Nope I did not read Xiaxue’s, Bong Qiu Qiu’s or even KahwinKhronicles (now its hellokhronicles.com) till recently. I have been diligently adding local blogs to my reading list also added those from Malaysia. Links are at the side if you are interested.

The past is what moulds our future. It is due to all these reads that evolves my writing and perception. There is always a sense of nostalgia when I read them. I hope you have the same feeling as I do when you clicked through them.

Pictures are not mine unless otherwise stated. Pictures are all link to their respective owner's blog


No comments:

Post a Comment