Sunday 2 November 2014

Gems in my City : Tiong Bahru


Not really a journey. It was just a walk under the hot sun through one of the oldest neighbourhood in Singapore. I've been there twice but I cannot say I've truly explored the place. There are just too many nooks and crannies to go OOO! and AHH! about. So many little coffee joints to sit and soak in their ambience.

I love the architecture of the surrounding apartment blocks. It has the hipster vibe (of course! It is one of the Top 15 hippest neighbourhood in the world according to Vogue Magazine. Anna Wintour is never wrong) to it and the main reason why I fell in love with this neighbourhood was its old world charm. You seldom get that charm here in the modern metropolis call Singapore. The low rise blocks with their whitewashed walls that is occasionally broken by columns of red bricks are pleasing break to the modern buildings that now towers over 20-stories high.

It is hard to explain the vibe of the place in words. You would have to take a walk around the area and you'll get what I mean. Take a day off and walk around the area on a weekday. I am sure you'll welcome the slower pace that Tiong Bahru has to offer. Get lost in the lanes, who knows, you'll find a special shop or eatery that will soon be your favourite place to visit. I know I found mine.





No comments:

Post a Comment